1.20.2009

Dylan is 6!

Six years ago today, this sweetheart entered my life! He had a great birthday and I had a fun day reminiscing. He decided that a fun treat would be for me to bring McDonald's to lunch at school. So spoiled!

Dylan's kindergarten class at lunch. Going to visit him at school is my favorite! It is seriously so cute.
I got in trouble for trying to take pictures of the birthday boy at recess (parents aren't allowed on the playground) so I convinced him to come and sit at his desk for a quick photo. He requested doughnuts for his classroom treat which he said all the kids declared awesome.

Totally wicked! My own Wii controller! We had a nice little family party tonight. We grilled for dinner then Dylan opened his presents. He was super excited about the money he got in the mail and Life game he opened. He also got a Wii controller, nunchuk and Shaun White snowboarding game. Then it was time for cupcakes and ice cream.

Here Dylan is making the best wish ever - or so he says. He'll have his friend party on Saturday which of course I will also post about.
So here's where I get to reminisce. This is about as far back as the pictures on my computer go - I know, I need to get the older ones on here. Look at those eyes! I swear he looks exactly the same today, just in a bigger package. I wish I could climb in this picture and give this two year- old a squeeze. Those cheeks are begging to be kissed!
Dylan was easy from the beginning. He was my easiest labor - not the shortest - but the easiest. I was relaxed and ready to meet this boy. There is never a dull moment with Dylan around. He is curious about everything and always talking. He loves life and finds fun in every little thing. He is sensitive and kind. His kindergarten teacher says the girl he marries will be one lucky woman - according to Mrs. Hummel, she will definitely be treated like a princess! I couldn't agree more.
Dylan taught me a lot about being a mom - most importantly, that it was possible to take care of more than one child (I was nervous!) and possible that your heart would nearly explode with love. I was so much calmer the second time around and found myself enjoying more of the little moments. When I think back to the baby he was, I can remember quiet times when we sat nursing or lying next to him on the floor while he practiced his airplanes. The toddler that he was in these pictures was silly, busy and always laughing. Dylan is to this day, never quiet!! And never, ever still!! But truthfully, I wouldn't want it any other way. I love my crazy, happy, funny little (big!) boy. Happy Birthday Dyls!

15 comments:

Karen M. said...

Happy birthday Dyl! What a happy boy! How can you not smile when you are with him? You are right about him looking the same only in a bigger body. I remember the day he was born very well too. We didn't quite make it to SoCal to stay with Jake and we could still show you the gas station where we were filling up when Patrick called to say Dylan was safely here. I just can't believe that was six years ago!

jewly said...

Happy Birthday! You have such a cool mom to bring you McDonalds and donuts to school. Saige says hi and Happy Birthday too.

Amy said...

No way is Dylan 6! That's just CRAZY. He's so stinking cute, I love him and love your description of him. That picture of him and Jake is still how I picture him. I feel the same as you so far with my second child (minus the labor part). Happy Birthday Dylan, we LOVE you!

Lynnette said...

What a sweet tribute to your little (big) boy. They grow way too fast, don't they?

Carrie said...

Oh how I love to reminisce through pictures! Yay! What a cutey bug! I'm totally with you on jumping into old pictures to give the little guy a big squeeze!

But I am a LAME Aunt! It's my fault the cousins didn't call!!! I don't know why, but for years I totally think his birthday is the 21st! I've got to get it together! We'll call him today after school.

He totally looks so big and has gotten super tall lately! He is super fun and we love him tons!

Happy Birthday Dyl!

Carrie said...

ps.. my favorite dylan memory is when he was about 19 months old and he stood on your mom's coffee table and sank many basketballs in a row into the hoop. that was about 10 feet away from him. It was so cute and so funny because he was so good at it but so little!

Erica said...

Happy Birthday Dylan! Man I love this little man! I can't wait until they want to talk on the phone. Especially Dyl you would think he'd like it. You are such a good mom bringing him McDonalds and his class donuts. I love the old pictures he is so stinking cute!

Anonymous said...

Aww! What a cute birthday boy. He is a great kid! It looks like he had a great day too! I hope he has just as much fun at his friend party too!! I love it when a birthday gets celebrated again and again!

Anonymous said...

Cute to hear your thoughts and memories about your boy. He is such a welcome, important, original and irreplaceable part of our family... I love him. Happy Birthday Dylan!
~Uncle Scott

Donette said...

Oh for fun! I remember when kids brought treats to school for birthdays! I thought they were so cool! So I'm sure it was for them too! Dylan is so cute! I've always loved his happy go lucky style! Hope he has a fun party!

Brittany said...

aw! happy birthday! i hope dylan had a good one! luv ya!

Meghann said...

Yeah! Happy Birthday! Can't believe how fast our boys are growing. P can't wait for the party. It was so nice of you to invite him even though they don't see each other much any more. See you tomorrow!

PS. Love his 2 year old picture. You have such handsome boys.

Ashley Elizabeth said...

Happy Birthday Dylan! What a cool Mom, taking McDonalds to school! I love the baby pictures!

The Moore's said...

What great pictures of Dylan! he looks like he had such a great birthday. Can't wait to see the Dragon party pics - Jake told us all about what was planned (we loved having Jake visit for a couple days- they played alot of guitar hero!) I love the hiking pictures too and can't wait to come down to arizona again and do some of these hikes with all 6 boys! Love you all. Aunt Kim

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Dylan! I loved reading about how much you love this little guy. He is a sweety; he grabbed my heart from the start of Sunbeams.