1.20.2009

Camelback Mountain

Here's the rest of our pics from our Christmas visit from Grandpa and Grandma Motley. We decided to do a little hiking the afternoon of the freezing morning of golf. So after a little Bajio in our tummies, we decided to tackle Camelback Mountain. Be forewarned - this is picture heavy! But the combination of gorgeous red rock and gorgeous blue skies made for some great photos.


For you non-Arizonians, Camelback Mountain is a camel shaped mountain that sits in the middle of Phoenix - with amazing views of downtown, Scottsdale, Tempe, Paradise Valley - truthfully, you feel like you can see everything. I've seen it a million times and always wanted to hike it. Patrick found us a good route and decided we'd take the easy hike around the mountain. But once the boys saw the trail leading to the "tippy top," there was no stopping us. Thank goodness Grandma and Grandpa were troopers! They didn't let a cold or an ouchy foot or a fear of going straight up hold them back.

Watson boys in the house!! They have gotten to be such a fun age to take on adventures like this. Jake and Dylan don't need help and don't get tired at all. Carter is right in on the action and the help he needs isn't much. He usually poops out only right at the very end.

Help! Let us up! Save us!! My siblings of course know who orchestrated this shot. It is Grandpa all the way.
The little blond cutey bug having a rest on a rock just his size. I could not believe how well he hiked - the trail is pretty much straight uphill! And very rocky. There are parts where they have metal railing nailed into the rock to help you make your way.

Jake and Dylan on top of the world! The rock and the sky could not be more beautiful. I have turned into such an Arizona girl - parts of the desert are just gorgeous!

Yeah, I know. I totally told them they could not do this and they totally disobeyed. Do you think the reason my kids disobey me is because my hubby does too? Hmm...

Anyway, Patrick and Jake saw some other people doing this and decided they had to do it too. Patrick said it was not nearly as bad as it looked. I'm not sure if you can get the full perspective but it was enough for me that they were not on the trail but instead on the rock face. P said Jake enjoyed hearing comments from people on the trail down that were all, "Hey that's the kid that was climbing up there!"

Playing around on the rocks while waiting for Dad and Jake to stop being crazy.

Carter loves his grandma! We were resting here and decided we weren't going to go any farther. Grandpa had a cold and the rest of the hike was even more steep than before. We felt satisfied because the view from where we stopped was amazing!! So we pooped out with about a half a mile to go but decided we would definitely come back and finish it another time. We live here, after all!

Dylan's chillin' like a villian. I think Uncle Chris made that one up!


I love my hubby!! He takes us on such awesome adventures and is so easy-going about everything that we all can't help but have fun!
Fresh off his rock climb, studly Jake takes in the view. Is he starting to look super grown-up or what?!

I absolutely love this picture of my parents!! I love how they were totally up for the hike. They are so great with the boys - always having fun and never losing their patience, which is amazing. They are such great examples to me and I am so lucky that they are my parents!! Christmas with them was so nice and we just loved the attention. Can't wait until summer!

8 comments:

Cortney Clegg said...

WOW! Beautiful pictures! And such brave n' crazy boys! That rock face they climbed looks pretty steep- I keep scrolling back to that pic...it looks so surreal. :)

Erica said...

I love your pictures! Cute ones of everyone! I wish I could click on the one of P and J on the face of the rock so I could see the scariness! I'm glad you are finally blogging regularly now!

Carrie said...

What a cool hike! I totally want to go there with you guys! I so agree that red rock against blue sky is GORGEOUS!!!

The pictures are super cute!

Karen M. said...

The pictures look great and help us remember how fun that day was. Too bad we didn't get a picture of the railing that was stuck in the side of the mountain so death wasn't certain! It was a really fun day despite the cold. You can't tell that in the pictures. Adventures are the best!

Amy said...

Wow, that looks really fun. Now honestly, you keep saying it was cold but how cold was it? The sun is shining...couldn't have been that bad, right. Not like here I'm sure. Great pictures of everyone. I want to come for a visit again, oh wait I have a million kids now!

Carrie said...

p.s. love the granpda orchestrated picture:)

Family hikes are the best:)

Donette said...

How fun! We've never done that either! Next time call us and we'll meet you there!

Ashley Elizabeth said...

Looks like a fun hike! Such an adventurous fam!