1.16.2009

Christmas '08

Please don't mistake my lack of blogging for a lack of fun things to blog about! We had such a wonderful holiday - so wonderful that I can't seem to get my groove back. But really, you bloggers all know how daunting it all gets when there is so much to post about. I really didn't know where to begin! I should have sorted through it all a long time ago but truthfully, I was too busy enjoying it.
This picture is for Carrie. She did a cute tag about taking a picture of your tree and then one of your favorite ornament and then posting it. I love our tree this year! I may try to see if I can convince the Mr. to put more lights on next year. These fake trees in all their "pre-litness" really put ours to shame! But I love my real tree.
Choosing a favorite ornmanent is tricky. I have a lot of favorites! I love all my ballet ones - it doesn't feel like Christmas without some Nutcracker memories. I also love my Waterford crystal ornament that Peg gave me the year before Patrick and I were married. It made me feel like I was part of the family even though we weren't engaged just yet.
My new stockings! In my family, the siblings draw names (spouses included) and my SIL Carrie made these stockings for me since she and Scott had us this year. Are they not awesome?! And no, she will not make any for you. She said they were a true labor of love. And she does not love you. Okay, well some of you readers she might but you'll just have to wait your turn!

So our Christmas was so fabulous! We stayed home and didn't go anywhere for the first time ever. The best part was Grandpa and Grandma Motley deciding they would spend Christmas with us. So they drove/flew to Arizona and helped us create the best Christmas ever! We had so much fun. There was lots of cooking, playing, talking, golfing in the freezing cold (not the girls, thank goodness), eating, hiking and just plain hanging out. It could not have been better, except maybe for the freezing cold. We did a Christmas Eve nativity which was narrated by Grandma and photographed by Grandpa.
I hadn't gotten to be Mary in I don't know how long. Do you love that the closest thing we had to a doll was Woody?
My favorite was that our 3 shepherds then magically turned into 3 wise men. Worked out good, didn't it?

Could my wise man be any cuter?! I could eat him. Seriously.
On Christmas morning, the kids got us up at a very sensible 7:30 a.m. They were excited and adorable and I will never forget Carter's face as I carried him down the stairs to see his full stocking. It was like he realized the magic for the first time. The older boys were totally into the magic and I loved seeing them excited about what Santa brought them.


Tearing into gifts from Santa.


What is in this ginormous present for all three of us? A new T.V. for the loft!!

And in this one? Guitar Hero for the Wii!! But where is the Wii? We quickly opened a present from Grandma and Grandpa Burnett and there it was!!


Our new sweet set-up! You can totally come over and play if you want. The boys got some great games - from G and G Motley and Aunt Sara - and they set out to play them as soon as Patrick could get it set up. They played so much that first day it was ridiculous!!

Jake had played before so he was a pro. Very serious Guitar Hero face.

A little tricky for Dylan and his smaller hands but he had the sweet moves for sure. He definitely moved like a Guitar Hero! He has since gotten a lot better and has beaten three songs as of yesterday.

A lot of our grandparent fun wasn't documented. We were just having fun being in the moment. We were all majorly spoiled and received so many wonderful things for Christmas. Grandpa and Grandma Motley are just so much fun to be with and my kids love playing with them. I love having good talks with my mom and dad and just getting a chance to be together. It was special to be with them and to enjoy the magic, while also reflecting on our many blessings that we have because our Savior was born so long ago. We were grateful for the time to slow down and savor these moments together.

10 comments:

Donette said...

Gosh sounds like you've had a wonderful holiday season! I love that you guys acted out the nativity. I always did that when I was younger and have just been waiting to get enough kids and people around during Christmas to actually do it. I never got to be Mary either so I'm sure that was quite exciting! Makes such great memories!

Carrie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Your tree is so pretty and I'm so glad you posted it because it makes me feel a little like we got to stop in for a visit at Christmas time!

I LOVE that you have a little Christmas tree in your play room! How fun and magical for the kids everyday!!! My kids before and after Christmas talked about wanting a tree in their room...maybe next year.

Your stockings look super cute up! (if I don't say so myself:)
I really love your polka dots and stripes!!!

Glad you guys got to enjoy Grandma and Grandpa! We love you!

I am sooo super excited about Santa Cruz and that you guys are thinking about coming...seriously. I've thought about it lots already...and Amy will be here too! How fabulous!

Unknown said...

I would have totally loaned you Eric for baby Jesus!

Brittany said...

looks like you had fun! next time we visit, im totally challenging the boys to a guitar hero contest (even though ill probably be beat!) luv ya!

Ryan Smart said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Thanks for liking junk food as much as me and making sure it's always around. There are more things I love about you, but that one comes to mind--I haven't had dinner.

I need to come over and play the Wii--and you can watch the baby.

I also need you to put a rating system on your books so I know which ones to read--if you get ambitious put a level of girliness so I know which ones to avoid. Just a request. I hope you're eating a deliscious steak and creme brulee. Peace out!

Mimi said...

Hey Nik- Did I read a comment that you may come to Santa Cruz this year????? Yeah! Friends my age! Great Christams pictures. Love the tree, I did the same kind of post with our tree and my FAV ornament. Carrie and I think alike! Oh and I love her stockings, she is so talented!

Amy said...

I want to come over too, count me in! I love you last sentence about being able to slow down and enjoy your memories! That's exactly how I felt this Christmas too. And, I feel just like you with blogging sometimes, it's a bit overwhelming and sometimes you just need to take a break. I haven't posted anything about our christmas. But, I do LOVE hearing about the Watson's so stick with it for me. I love the stockings! I hope Carrie loves me because they have us next year and I really want some stockings (hint hint wink wink). Glad you had such a wonderful Christmas, miss you all!

Mimi said...

I think I missed your BDay. So if this is late sorry but "Happy Birthday!" Can't wait to see a post about what you did!

Ashley Elizabeth said...

Looks like a great holiday! So many great traditions! I love your big real tree too, its beautiful! And those stockings, wow, she spent a lot of time on them, I'd love to see them close up!

Cortney Clegg said...

I felt the same way about blogging after Christmas- WAY too much to post. First off, I still firmly believe that a real tree beats a fake one- you just can't miss out on that smell! Secondly- when I first saw the picture of your stockings I thought they were from PB-Kids! Awesome job to your crafty SIL. I love Carter's faces- :) he is such a silly cutie. And whoa! Your boys totally got a great haul for Christmas! :) Glad you enjoyed your holiday!