5.21.2008

Goodbye to Second Grade and Dylan's Lemonade Stand

Only one half of a day of second grade left. Can you believe it?! This year has flown by and I know they're only going to go faster as this little boy continues to get older.
This is Jake in his desk during his end of the year class party that Carter and I went to today. I took one of him here the first day of school too and boy, he looks older!
Jake and his awesome teacher, Mrs. Downey. He enjoyed her so much and she told me the feeling was mutual. He's learned a lot of really great things from her this year and he is more than ready for the big 3rd grade.
Mrs. Downey and her Downtown Downey Doers. They all gave her one stem of flowers while she sat and held the vase. She loves flowers and was touched, even though one of the boys blurted out the surprise. They also gave her a wall hanging that had a sweet saying about teachers on the front and the kids had all signed the back.
We are so proud of Jake and all his hard work - especially the great example he is to his friends and to his little brothers. Hard to believe we'll have another kindergartener at Anthem School come August and thanks to Jake, he is nothing but excited about school. Now Jake's headed for the big-time - letter grades and all!
Yesterday, Dylan the business man decided he wanted to do a lemonade stand. He got the idea early in the morning but I convinced him that we should wait until after school so we could have more customers. Here he is waiting patiently for school to get out.

Ugh, it's a little hot out. But it is worth it!! On top of the cooler, we had a sign that said "Lemonade 25 cents" and inside is the pitcher of lemonade, ice and plastic cups. He dutifully asked everyone who walked by, "Hi there! Would you like to buy some lemonade?"

Carter sampling the goods and proclaiming it tasty!

Dylan made a not-too-shabby $2.75 but promptly spent $1 of it when the ice cream truck came down our street. I'm sorry, Dyl but I think you inherited your inability to save from me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you ready for third grade? Multiplication... cursive... division? My-oh-my we have have a learning curve year here! I love the lemonade stand! And why not spend it all on the ice cream man, right?! Have you guys been hit with the triple digit weather there? It is 52 degrees here right now! I am bundled up in my blanket!

Jer and Cam said...

I am so glad school is out! I love summer. Congrats to Jake on a great year! I think he's going to love 3rd grade. In fact, I think 3rd was my favorite!
Tell Dylan to call us next time... we'd love to buy some of his lemonade! Yum!

Amy said...

I can't believe how big Jake is and that school is already out. I guess you don't have "snow days" to make up for like they do out here. I love the idea of the Lemonade stand! I totally remember doing that as a kid but never making any money. He made out pretty well! Good job Dyl! Did Carter have to pay for his cup?

Erica said...

Oh cute is Jake! He is by far the most handsome in his class! I love seeing those class pictures I always think they are hilarious. Why does Dyaln have to be so cute! I love that he has no shame talking to people let alone asking them for lemonade. At least he got something good with his money! Nice work! See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Nikki!!! This is your long lost wonderful friend Liz (BUFFY)! You have beautiful boys, I was excited to find your blog. I have four boys myself:) I'd love to catch up with you soon!

Julee said...

Wow!! I can't believe Jake will be in 3rd Grade!!!!! That is so crazy. I love the pictures of the lemonade stand...I wish I would have know...I love lemonade!!!! :) Your boys are the cutest boys...and they all have personalities to match!! :) TOO CUTE!!! Happy summer!!

Sally said...

I haven't seen a lemonade stand for a long long time. He's so cute just waiting for business to pick up.

Anonymous said...

Nikki - Hello!! ok.. i check the awesome blog weekly and honestly didn't know how to comment until pat was here and showed me! how lame is that? and to think i want to start my own blog!! Congrat's Jake! Here's to summer!! i'm not going to tell DJ and Andrew that he's out of school already. we enjoyed having uncle P here so much & can't wait for you guys to come up for seafair!! The boys still want to live on your street & hang out every day - Andrew loves doing lemonade stands - him & Dylan would make a mint together!

Love, Aunt Kim

Kendra said...

Next time make sure you advertise so then he can by ice cream for us all...J/k. Happy summer Nikki hope you and your boys have fun. I loved watching Carter at Ashley's house the other day. He was so cute playing with the dog..."Here boy." Your boys are the cutest, makes me think I could do boys if we ever have more kids. Still miss you as my VT.