2.26.2008

Some thoughts...


What did we do before we had this thing? I swear the boys are on it all the time. This is them today after school. And yes, it's is sufficiently warm enough to be Mogli and wear no shirt. Go ahead, be jealous!
On another note, you may notice the band-aid on Dylan's arm. He got 5 shots today in preparation for Kindergarten registration next week. Yes, I know he was supposed to have gotten them during his 4 year old well-child check-up. It's interesting how with your first child, you make the appointment on the day of their birthday and with subsequent kids, you figure, "Oh, it's not that big a deal if we're a whole entire year late!" Carter is late on his shots too, in case you were wondering.
I felt bad today because being 4 is a whole lot different than being 5. He definitely knew what was going on. I had brought some bribes with us and told him if he was extra super brave he could have his very own small bag of Smart Food and his very own small bag of Swedish Fish. He was excited about his treats but not excited about how long the nurse was taking to come back.
He's the kind of kid who likes to watch the shots pierce the skin, evidently, because he watched the whole thing. He didn't even flinch when she put the needle in, 5 times over. Not one tear, not one noise. Amazing, right? I was proud of him.
But I think the reason I'm reflecting on this today is that while we were at the doctor's office, I was flashing back to the same appointment that Jake had. Of course, I was an on-the-ball mom back then and he was only 4, but he had the exact same, stoic response to having to get some shots. He had his bribes too (I think I remember a Nerd's rope) but I remember being just as impressed.
I feel like these experiences are kind of like looking into a little peep hole and seeing a tiny glimpse of what kind of men these boys are going to be. Not classic "tough guys" per se, but men who know who they are and are sure of themselves and can weather a little discomfort because they know it will be over soon. And I'm so grateful.
Or maybe they'll just turn out to be junk-a-holics.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry but the trampoline still scares me! I love your thoughts and it is amazing that the wonderful traits you see in your kids just continue to grow and develop and then they do turn into wonderful people. This I can say from experience because I have wonderful children! Love you, Mom P.S. You are a very good writer-I like your style. Ever thought about writing books?

Amy said...

First, I am proud of you for posting a new post so soon! Second, love the staticy hair on the tramp. Third, that's such a cute story. For sure they will grow up to be junkaholics because their mommy is, but there is no doubt that they will be amazing men. You are doing an excellent job as their mamma. Owen had 2 shots yesterday, I can't imagine 5! The nurse said however, that he'll get a few more this year then not any till he's 5. So maybe you're not as late as you thought you were.

Carrie said...

Fun! My boys would be in pure heaven jumping on that tramp! Cute thoughts. However, I am hoping that 4 or 5 isn't the cut-off for signs of real men:) Ryan did pretty good when he had his shots - and it probably didn't help that Sean was screaming through Ryan's...Ryan was tough until it was over and then let out a just few tears. He was done pretty quick though.

Erica said...

I can't wait to jump on the tramp with him! I bet they have so much fun! Hey way to go my posting comments! You are real hip! I love hearing about those kinds of stories, kids are so cute! They are exactly like little men. Good job Dyl!