7.22.2008

The Motley Family Beach Vacation

Look at my cute huge fam on our fabulous beach vacation! I know many of you probably have bigger families than this but I'm just getting a kick of how big we're getting! 8 grandson's and 2 fetuses on the way! Hooray! That's right - Amy had the fun announcement that she's expecting her 2nd child.
So, the Motley parents rented this great beach house in Pajaro Dunes, CA and all my siblings and their families converged en masse for the Fourth of July. It was a great set-up with 6 bedrooms so everyone got their own - so comfortable and just steps away from the beach! We had lots of great food and fun together time. Us Arizonians were just dying at the gorgeous weather. I don't think it cracked 75 degrees the entire time and I think we were the only ones who didn't care about the overcast, foggy mornings that are the norm in the Santa Cruz area. Can I just tell you how much fun we had?! I just love my family - they are seriously so fun and I love hanging out with them! We had a couple of relaxing days on the beach, some tennis playing and such. We even got a little bit of firework action - cool illegal ones that our neighbors set off! Hey, it was better than nothing - we were too far from everything else and weren't in the mood to shlepp everyone to go see them. Perfect set-up! Then we had the first Motley Family Olympics! I was skeptical at first - worried that it would be too competitive for my taste :) - but it was a blast! These pics are from when we went down the night before for our torch relay and opening ceremonies.
Me and my littlest sis Erica with her cute baby bump that you can't even see! I know, right?


The Watson Family!
Cousins!
Sean, Jake, Dylan, Ryan, Carter (missing Owen, baby Hudson, baby Kyle)
Notice the fun sand pit that Grandpa dug for his grandson's every day. Quite the project but worth it. I don't think Owen ever left it!

This is a family shot before we started the Olympics. I didn't include the team shots but they're pretty fun too. If you're curious - Amy, Erica and Carrie all have them on their blogs, I think. The day before Grandpa assigned teams - which were quite fair if I do say so myself. No spouses played together and we mixed up the kids too. The kids chose the countries - we ended up with China, Greece and Japan. Then we decorated shirts according to our country and team. Very creative shirts - not mine though. Patrick wouldn't do mine for me, rude! We had some cool events like a bubblegum bubble blowing contest, Mormon Bridge (card game), home run derby, long jump, frisbee throw, golf putting contest, a relay race and tug-o-war, which had to be thrown out when we broke the hose we were using as our rope. All in all, an absolute blast! China was the winner (Dad, Chris, Amy, Carrie, Ryan M. and Carter); Greece came in second (Mike, Ryan S., Lindsay, Nikki, Dylan and Owen); and Japan was third (Patrick, Scott, Mom, Erica, Jake, Sean).
Here's some other great shots from the week.


I love this picture of Carter having a great time in the sand!



Jake is getting ready to catch a frisbee.


Owen and Dylan sharing a laugh. Dylan adores his little cousin Owen!
Thanks Mom and Dad for an awesome vacation! I'm so happy everyone got to come and I love you guys tons.







13 comments:

Amy said...

Another reminder of our trip makes me sad that it's over. What a good time. It's always fun to have our huge family get together, but I think what was special about this was that it was a time other than Christmas and in a fun location. I think we'll have to convince mom and dad to make it a tradition.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time! I bet it was good to get away from the blazing heat in AZ!! Aren't family parties the best?

Mimi said...

Wow! Your family is huge! I can't believe how much you and Erica look alike. Your sisters are so grown up. Oh it makes me feel so OLD!

Carrie said...

Fun update! It seems like it's been forever since the fun at the beach...so it was fun to relive it again! I too was a little tenative at first about the competetiveness of the olympics and my lack of ability with most sports...but the events were awesome and made it so fun! Have fun in Seattle!

Sally said...

I just love that first picture. Any attempt at pictures with lots of kids and people is definitely stressful and chaotic. Throw in some sand and ocean in the distance and it is immediately so relaxing just to look at! I love the Family Olympics idea. Glad you had a great time.

jewly said...

That looks like a lot of fun. Cute idea to have the olympics. Glad you had a great time.

Kendra said...

So you getting baby hungry???? I love the Olympics idea I think I might have to use some of the ideas to teach the girls about it when they come on. Your family looks so cute. What a fun vacation, glad your back been missing you and Riley to spice up everything.

Donette said...

Wow that is awesome that you guys got your whole family together! We haven't been able to do that for a few years now so I'm jealous! Love that you had it at the beach! Can't ever get enough of that!

Ashley Elizabeth said...

Wow, what a great vacation! I love the olympics games, what a great idea. You have a big family, I love getting all the cousins together, I bet the kids had a blast!

Our Little Family said...

Wow, sounds like so much fun. I love California beaches and miss them so much. The olympics are a great idea. We may have to try that at our next get together. Miss you guys.

Julee said...

HOW FUN!!!! I LOVE THE OLYMPICS and the shirts!!!! That sounds like so much fun!!! CA is just gorgeous!! I think I need a vacation after seeing your pictures!!
P.S. I love the family picture!!!

Anonymous said...

Good times!! I so miss California weather and being with family too!! It looks like you guys made the most of every minute!

Anonymous said...

Top 8 Hotels in Goa:

• Fort Aguada Beach Resort
• Cidade De Goa
• Leela Palace
• Goa Marriott Resort
• Majorda Beach Resort
• Taj Exotica
• Bogmalo Beach Resort
• Park Hyatt Goa